Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Book Linky

Deanna Jump is hosting a linky party for favorite books each Tuesday this summer that bloggers love.

Oh, how I LOVE children's picture books!  I secretly wish I could be a children's author, but in the meantime, I get to enjoy reading them.  I posted before about my love of Kevin Henkes books, and one I really enjoy using for therapy is Chrysanthemum. 

This is such a great book for conquering the Common Core "shades of meaning" goals-  or in my speech world-  CONTEXT CLUES!
Check out this sample of a page from the book.  On one page alone we get great juicy vocabulary words like "scarcely", "precious", "priceless", "fascinating", and "winsome".  Such lovely synonyms!  I think this is one of the reasons why I love Kevin Henkes book-  he sprinkles such wonderful words in his books-  he never talks down to children. 
 
This book is frequently recommended as a beginning of the year book in classrooms, and I echo that idea.  It would be great in speech therapy as well.  Give each student a name tag to decorate their name and look up in a baby name book what their name means and where it comes from-  starts great conversation!  The tags can then be placed on their speech folders for the year. 
 
There are also book companion packets for this gem of a book on TPT, as well as tons of free activities and lesson plans on the web.  The book easily fills a 30 minute therapy session with plenty of language and articulation practice, as well as a great story about respecting individuality, and handling teasing (which some of our students face when they have trouble saying the sounds in their names).

It truly is precious and priceless and fascinating and winsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment